South America

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Map of Peru

Barb summed that all up pretty well, I'd say! I just thought I would add the map of Peru so people could follow along our fast-paced progress. We arrived in Huaraz Sunday at 5:15 am and managed to find a hotel room in which to crash. After we woke up we poked around the city to find some good tours of the mountains around here that are gorgeous. We managed to find a nice one day tour that would take us up to see these 10ft flowers and an ice cave. Sadly, that night I came down with a flu (now chest cold) so I wasn't able to go, but it sounded wicked (I am thinking about going tomorrow). Phil, Jon, Ave and Barb left this morning for a 2 day trek up mountain 69, which sounds wonderful. I am sure Barb will have a lot to share when she gets back on the blog!

I also wanted to add a picture of the wicked boats they had at Huanchaco. The fishermen would paddle out past the surf to fish, then head back using the waves a bit (the book made it sound like they surf in, but they just use the waves to ease themselves in). The're about 10 ft long and made of what looks like two bundles of reeds tied together. The town was nice, though cold, a great place to chill out (and it had amazing apple pie).

The plan is to head to Lima the day after tomorrow on another gorgeous night bus (the seats almost fully recline!). From there, we're going to spend a few days in the "poor man's Galapagos", then catch our flights. Hope all is well with everyone! Andrea




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home